Living on your own requires specific skills and knowledge. Marist180 helps young people develop these so they have the confidence to live independently.
The Supported Independent Living Program (SILP) helps young people in out-of-home care successfully transition into independence and adulthood. Participants are given the opportunity to experience the realities of independent living with the security of on-hand support.
Each participant shares accommodation with two other young people and is allocated their own caseworker to help them develop living skills in one-on-one sessions. Participants learn how to manage their rent, bills, income, education and employment while living independently. The goal of the program is to support young people until they have the confidence to be self-reliant.
To be eligible for SILP, a young person needs to be:
- Under the parental responsibility of the Minister.
- Aged between 16 and 18 years.
- Receiving an income (either a wage or Centrelink payments).
- Engaged in a vocational program or employment.
- Assessed as capable of independent living after a period of support.
Get in touch
If you are interested in finding out more about our Supported Independent Living Program:
02 9672 9200
Send an enquiry